Igiugig (ig-ee-UH-gig) is located on the south shore of the Kvichak River, which flows from Iliamna Lake. Kiatagmuit Eskimos originally lived on the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak and used Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, the inhabitants moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. People from Branch River also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. Today, about one-third of residents can trace their roots back to the Branch River village. A post office was established in 1934 but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and subsistence fishing sustain the community.