From ice to isotopes, our new fact sheet provides an overview of a rare population of harbor seals that make their home year-round on Alaska’s largest lake.
• There are about 400 Iliamna Lake seals.
• They are the only freshwater harbor seal population in the United States.
• Scientists believe the seals stay in Iliamna Lake for their entire lifecycle.
• Some proposed components of the Pebble mine include a ferry transport across Iliamna Lake.
• There is concern for the welfare of the seals if their habitat is used as a transportation corridor.