Public meetings related to development of the proposed Pebble mine will be held this week in Anchorage and in communities in Bristol Bay:
Public Forum on Bristol Bay Forever Initiative
On Wednesday, Aug. 13, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., in the Wilda Marston Theatre of the Z.J. Loussac Public Library in Anchorage, voters will hear experts discuss the pro and con positions regarding the “Bristol Bay Forever” public initiative. The Anchorage Public Libraries and the League of Women Voters of Anchorage are cosponsoring the event. More information.
EPA public meetings on proposed Bristol Bay restrictions
Members of the public can comment in person on EPA’s Proposed Determination – a document that details its recommended restrictions on large-scale mining at the Pebble deposit in Bristol Bay.
First up is the Anchorage meeting, scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 12, at the Egan Civic and Convention Center in downtown Anchorage. This meeting is expected to run for several hours.
EPA has provided the following questions to consider for those wishing to provide comments:
- Do you think the Proposed Determination should be recommended and finalized? Why or why not?
Do you have additional information on potential impacts on the North Fork Koktuli River, South Fork Koktuli River and Upper Talarik Creek watersheds, and downstream reaches of the Nushagak and Kvichak rivers resulting from mining of the Pebble deposit? Specifically information about:
- Fish and other ecological resources
- Water quality, flora, fauna and hydrology
- Wildlife species
- Drinking water
- Can you suggest potential mitigation actions that could compensate for the damage caused by mining the Pebble deposit?
- Should the discharge of dredged or fill material be completely prohibited, restricted as proposed, restricted in another manner or not restricted at all at this time?
Additional meetings will be held in these Bristol Bay communities:
New Stuyahok: Wednesday, Aug. 13, at 5 p.m.
Cetuyaraq Community Center
Nondalton: Wednesday, Aug. 13, at 5 p.m.
Nondalton Community Center
Kokhanok: Thursday, Aug. 14, 5 p.m.
Dillingham: Thursday, Aug. 14, at 5:30 p.m.
Middle School Gymnasium
Iliamna: Friday, Aug. 15, at Noon
Igiugig: Friday, Aug. 15, at Noon