Newhalen (NOO-hale-en) is located on the north shore of Iliamna Lake, at the mouth of Newhalen River. The 1890 census data listed the Eskimo village of "Noghelingamiut," meaning "people of Noghelin," at this location, with 16 residents. The present name is an Anglicized version of the original. The village was established in the late 1800s due to the bountiful fish and game in the immediate area. Newhalen incorporated as a city in 1971.
Information sourced from the Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs Community Information Series.