Igiugig (ig-ee-UH-gig) is located on the Alaska Peninsula on the south shore of the Kvichak River, which flows from Iliamna Lake. Kiatagmuit Eskimos originally lived on the north bank of the Kvichak River in the village of Kaskanak and used Igiugig as a summer fish camp. At the turn of the century, the inhabitants moved upriver to the present site of Igiugig. People from Branch also moved to Igiugig as it began to develop. Today, about one-third of residents can trace their roots back to the Branch River village. A post office was established in 1934 but was discontinued in 1954. Commercial and subsistence fishing sustain the community.
Information sourced from the Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs Community Information Series.
About Pebble Watch
Pebble Watch is an impartial, educational and fact-based initiative of the BBNC Land Department to disseminate information regarding the proposed Pebble Mine project to BBNC shareholders and interested parties.